RX-8 iPod Install
This how-to will show you how to install an iPod into an RX-8 using the "CD Player Hack". This involves removing the radio, and soldering an audio cable into it. Then you put it all back together, and pop in a CD containing 80 minutes of pure silence. The radio will only pick up your new AUX-Input when a CD is playing.
You can actually use this to get audio from any device, though iPods certainly are the best. This Hack may work on other Mazda radios too.
- This tutorial shows you how to do it exactly (more or less) the way I did it. But this is a hack so feel free to make any substitutions and modifications you see fit.
- The official Mazda instructions for removing your radio tell you to disconnect the battery before you begin. I didn't. No harm done, but be warned, they say you should.
- Remove Radio
- Dissect Radio
- Solder Cable to Circuit Board
- Reassemble Radio
- Reinstall Radio
- Plug in iPod and rock on
- Medium flat head screw driver (preferably covered in electrical tape)
- Medium phillips head
- Socket Wrench (with extensions)
- Soldering Iron
- Hot Glue Gun
- Razor Blade
- Dremel (Optional)
- Small Flashlight Really Helps